Why a Blog?

I'm embarking on a second Masters degree but this time it's not secular - it's seminary.  I realized that after my first Masters I left with a bunch of papers I had written, and books I had purchased, but when I looked back at my classes there were certain ones I couldn't really recall very well.

I knew about them, and the books I'd read, but no 'A-Ha' moments came flooding back.  I know they were there but I've never been consistent at journaling so some of those moments got lost in the flood of more books, papers, and busywork.

So, I decided to start a blog to record the things I'm learning, struggling through, and spiritually trying to process.  Sanctification and reformation is an ongoing process in the life of the believer. Sanctification is God's process within us to make us more holy and conformed to his Son's image. Reformation is a more drastic work that typically characterizes the church or larger movements in a person's life.

For example, a person growing up in the Roman Catholic tradition will be accustomed to a mixture of ideas regarding soteriology (salvation). It usually includes: faith + works, grace + sacraments, Jesus + the Papacy, etc... But they study Romans and are blindsided by the simple truth of Romans 3:28 which says, “We hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law.”

That individual realizes that their salvation does not depend on their works (although they will be a natural byproduct of salvation) to be effectual and thus they become totally reformed in their understanding of God, salvation, and how comprehensive what He has done for us IS. That person no longer relies on their works to achieve salvation or maintain it and is totally reformed.

I have been reformed over the last year in my understanding of God's attributes, sovereignty, and His decrees over all things. I've learned and reformed in my understanding of how salvation works, how it glorifies God, and what God calls me to do in it.

My hope is that as I continue to study and learn new things, I can record what I've learned as a sort of time-capsule and return to it often like an old friend who reminds me of where I've come, how I've grown, and to help me recall the important lessons I'm all-too-quick to forget.

I'm not looking for debate or time-wasting activities - just to record and hopefully encourage the hordes that flock to read my posts ;-)

May God richly bless you! Soli Deo Gloria

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Known

God's Sovereignty: Predestination & Free Will Part 2

Predestination and Free Will - Part 1